Did You Know ~ Fun Facts
Welcome to this page, full of fun (some useful) facts and web addresses. We hope the information will be user friendly and amusing.
Feeling the heat? Here are some useful water facts
- A healthy person can drink about three gallons (48 cups) of water per day.
- Drinking too much water too quickly can lead to water intoxication. Water intoxication occurs when water dilutes the sodium level in the bloodstream and causes an imbalance of water in the brain.
- Water intoxication is most likely to occur during periods of intense athletic performance.
- While the daily recommended amount of water is eight cups per day, not all of this water must be consumed in the liquid form. Nearly every food or drink item provides some water to the body.
- Soft drinks, coffee, and tea, while made up almost entirely of water, also contain caffeine. Caffeine can act as a mild diuretic, preventing water from traveling to necessary locations in the body.
- Water leads to increased energy levels. The most common cause of daytime fatigue is actually mild dehydration.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water can decrease the risk of certain types of cancers, including colon cancer, bladder cancer, and breast cancer.
- For a majority of sufferers, drinking water can significantly reduce joint and/or back pain.
- Water leads to overall greater health by flushing out wastes and bacteria that can cause disease.
- Water can prevent and alleviate headaches.
(extracts from www.allaboutwater.org)
Any visitor to eBay will have been outbid at one point or another and felt the red mist descend upon them. This is a "sniping" service, meaning you can put in an eleventh-hour bid and get your goods.
HOPE not hate is Searchlight's campaign to counter racism and fascism in elections and beyond. Over the past few years the British National Party has seriously contested council elections all over the country but still only has 57 councillors. The two BNP MEPs elected in June 2009 have brought the party financial benefit in the form of their salaries and staffing and expenses allowances, as well as an opportunity for Nick Griffin, the BNP leader, further to develop his links with other European fascist parties and strut around on an international stage. However without the HOPE not hate campaign, the BNP would undoubtedly have had more MEPs and many more local councillors elected. Now the BNP is threatening to gain a majority on Barking and Dagenham council, in east London, and Griffin is trying to become MP for Barking. The party is also faced with defending 30 of its council seats in 2010, which gives anti-fascists an opportunity to oust them. At Searchlight we want to make sure that people know the full story about who the BNP are and what they really stand for.
The HOPE not hate website aims to do just that, serving the anti-fascist movement and providing up to datve news, good practice and analysis.
Welcome to BBC raw, the place where you can develop your skills for everyday life.
Improve your English and maths with Skillswise. Factsheets, worksheets, quizzes and games to help improve your skills.
Find out what events are happening around the UK with a fast keyword search by event and location.
WonderHowTo hand-selects and curates the best instructional videos from over 1,700 websites. Explore the largest collection of free how-to videos. WonderHowTo is your one-stop shop to browse, search, or network your way through the world of free video tutorials.
Free jigsaw games, new one every day. Get your brain working!
Great site to get walking directions to places or between stations etc.
A really quick and easy way to write to your local councillor, MP or MEP etc. You don't need to know their names or addresses as this all available via the site. You type your letter in the form provided on the site (including spelling checks) and email your letter directly to your chosen public servant.
The link attached is very useful and may be something you keep for back up information. It lists the make up of all local authorities and then a link to their website where you can then get the names and contact details of any Councillors you may wish to contact.
Spring cleaning tips and tricks all the year round. You'll find gems like using soap and vinegar to clean wood, and a simple way to brighten up gold - a dab of handwashing soap on a toothbrush. There's a list of cleaning providers, and a discussion forum.
Find out what's being built in your area, learn about planning permission applications and see what plans your local council has up its sleeve. Search by postcode, area or place of interest in England and Wales.
Need to find your way around, then try one of these websites?
www.theaa.com General travel ~ mileage
maps.google.co.uk General travel
www.multimap.com General travel
Getting around London on public transport
Last updated on: Monday 5 July 2010
The GMB London Region does not endorse any service or provider listed above. The information is provided by other sites and users should make their own enquiries as to reliability and performance.